Truth, Hurts, Feels Good

“The times you lived through, the people you shared those times with — nothing brings it all to life like an old mix tape. It does a better job of storing up memories than actual brain tissue can do. Every mix tape tells a story. Put them together, and they can add up to the story of a life.”
— Rob Sheffield, Love Is a Mix Tape

I remember this mix tape I made in like (gulp) 2002. It was for a man who was 34. I was 22 and 34 seemed ancient, especially because he had an ex-wife and a real job (lawyer/professor) and THREE (count 'em) kids from his marriage. It is heart-breaking to think of how ploddingly I selected the songs, and taped pictures to the case and probably quoted poetry on the insert -- and it was the twenty-first century for God's sake! WTF was I thinking? A fucking mix tape! Ugh. Painful. He returned the gesture with a mix CD. Half the songs on the CD were songs from his band (I can't). The other songs were dark and gloom and doom, but sort of new wave and/or UK shit. It was a pretty good mix CD. The cover art was a cartoon of how ethanol is made/processed/concocted/whatever. I clearly didn't study it. He was an environmental lawyer. Very big deal.

Some songs from my tape:
Ted's Waltz (Beth Orton)
Words (Low)

New Slang - the EP Version (The Shins) -- that Garden State crap had not come out yet.
Waking Up To You (Hefner)
Colors and the Kids (Cat Power)
Fillmore Jive (Pavement) -- omg I used to die for this song, pretended he said "I need to sleep / I need to sleep / I need you to sleep"

Nashville (Liz Phair)

Some songs from his CD
spiders (His Band)
hamsun (His Band)
Please, please, please, let me get what I want (The Smiths)
Torch (The Psychedelic Furs)


Some songs from the second tape I made (we were totally finished by this point. I was not ready to accept this fact and so decided to plow ahead, with a kind of principled unwitting fuck all attitude. This tape was seriously tortured, almost demented.)
I Break Horses (Smog)

Bad As They Seem (Hayden)

Disaster (The Ashtray Hearts)
The Swimmer (Sleater Kinney)
Sun Don't Shine (Haley Bonar)


Lalala, back to trying to get something done today...

No comments: